PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More Info for those (low-timers) seeking a job in Namibia
Old 16th Jan 2010, 01:32
FlyBy_7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I've been reading posts about Botswana, Namibia, Tanzania, etc. for about 5 months now and have finally decided to go for it (hence the first post). I'll hopefully be heading to the other side of the world within 2 months, so now it's time for deciding where to go and ask some practical questions. I was thinking a lot about Maun at first so I hope these questions aren't ignorant for Namibia.

I've been thinking through the details of what to bring, what to do with my things here, etc. I guess my questions are:

1) Are basic needs such as toiletries and clothing worth stressing about or can I easily get what I need inexpensively once on the ground? Basically how thoroughly do I need to pack and still fit in my backpack?

2) Are the accommodations relatively secure or should I plan to carry most of my things with me all of the time?

3) Is it easy to exchange US $'s once there or do I need to get local currency here? Are credit cards accepted?

4) I'd rather not bring my laptop but is it easy enough to get online so my family doesn't freak out or is it worth bringing if I can?

5) Most importantly, anything I can buy cheaply here that I can make some money on when I get there (obviously not most important but worth asking)?

Thanks for any help