PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aussie Jetstar workers held in Vietnam
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2010, 21:51
mohikan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Isn't it interesting how many low time / first time posters on this thread are out and about trying to discredit the whistleblowers and pump up the managers accused of financial impropriety. Some of the words being used are very similar to the public statements by Buchanan and Joyce. Smearing the messenger and posting positive spin is classic QF PR tactics and blatenly obvious in this environment.

This from the QF website:

"As I advised on Friday, our colleagues, Jetstar Pacific Chief Operating Officer Daniela Marsilli and Chief Financial Officer Tristan Freeman, have been denied departure from Vietnam, although they are at work and remain free to move around the country.
Daniela and Tristan have my absolute confidence, and the full support of the leadership group. They are highly professional and ethical aviation executives.
I have been in close touch with Daniela and Tristan, both of whom I know well, and they are coping admirably with what is an immensely stressful situation for them and for their families.
While I have every confidence that this situation will be resolved successfully, we should prepare ourselves for the prospect that this may take some time.
In the interim Daniela and Tristan will need - and get - all possible support:
We have put in place an internal executive team dedicated to resolving this issue
I am staying in close personal touch with Daniela and Tristan, as are members of the leadership team
We are doing all we can to ensure the well being of their immediate families
We are working closely with the Australian Government and others to expedite their freedom to travel.
This is a very sensitive situation and, as we proceed, that means I will not always be able to share with you full details of the steps we are taking or the status of the situation.
But I want to assure you of this: nothing is more important to us than the safety, security and good reputation of our colleagues. Our people come first. We will stand by Daniela, Tristan and their families for as long as it takes.
Even if you don’t know them personally, I am sure everyone would agree it is important they have the backing of the full Qantas Group community.
Alan Joyce"

Interesting how almost straight away Joyce comes out with a statement like this when it involves two of his managers who yet still maybe found to have acted improperly according to the laws of the land that they are working in, yet when it comes to the actions of the operational staff in extreme circumstances there is not a word of thanks or praise for the actions of the crews involved in either the Learmonth or Manila emergencies.

Contrast that with Willie Walsh who stood very publicly with the crew of the BA 777 crash at LHR.

If you are a manager in Qantas (particularly in JQ) you can do no wrong and are worth the obscene salaries and perks you are paid. It's all about how much cash you can rip out of the business. On 20K USD per month both these individuals would have been up there with the highest paid Airline execs in SEA. All this for an airline that has four aircraft.

As someone ardroitly put it earlier on this thread, Qantas staff are viewed by management as the anti-christ.