PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - easyJet/CTC Cadet Pilot Slavery Contract
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2010, 15:17
FRying

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
-1 !!!!

Managers don't add any value. Some just crunch numbers which takes the wit of a baker to do it except they're very good at playing with Excel (big deal !!!). Others conduct PR which takes a lot of communication skills (hey, just like a professional purser !). As I previously mentionned on another post, I've been a manager myself in a big corporation and I know what it takes to be one. Some believe they're changing the company. They really think they're it while, in fact, they're only doing what they're told (just like TheBeak asserted regarding pilots. The only difference is they don't have the lives of people in their hands).

Pilots don't do what they're told. They apply procedures. But this job is not (just) about applying procedures, which BTW is not that simple. It's about decision-making, it's about discriminating, it's about hindsight, it's about thinking quickly, it's about keeping cool, it's about prioritizing, it's about responsibility and it's about minding passengers throughout the flight in terms of safety and commercial satisfaction. It's also about abiding by regulatory rules that could send you before a judge (which most manager would never have to face).

Put a lousy, "one toothed dungaree wearing hick" pilot in a cockpit. You'll understand what kind of value added a standard or good pilot brings to an airline. Those boys(girls) you're talking about probably won't pass anything if they're that dumb. The PPL will be the greatest and last achievement. The CPL will be a mountain. The IR will be outerspace. Line training will simply be unreachable and a vague concept.

To be accepted into pilot training you could be a one toothed, dungaree wearing hick with no GCSEs or A Levels and have parents willing to put their £110000 Ex local authority flat in Hull up as collateral.

I'm not familiar with this very specific training programme. But if that is true, our airlines, and Easyjet more specifically, are heading for terrible events in the future. NOT EVERYBODY CAN BE A PILOT, let alone a good pilot !

I get to meet chaps who should have never set foot on an airplane. They simply haven't got the right "hardware", the right IQ, the right wit to fly those airplanes safely. Sure, when all works fine, they can cope. But then you immediately see those who get overwhelmed as soon as the situation gets a bit nasty.

Managers who are ready to put lousy pilots in their airline's cockpits remove value from their airline and should be laid off.