PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C130J just a strat aircraft?
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2002, 09:02
DutchRoll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I simply disagree on the two pilot thing, MikeRO.

The workload is not high in the route phase. It puzzles me that the RAF guys would say this and I can only assume that it is something to do with the way they are operating. The workload is only as high as you make it (I'm sure I could make myself work flat-out doing relatively pointless, semi-useful, or anally retentive stuff during a 2 or 6 hour route flight if I wanted to).

As far as TAC workload goes, it certainly can get busy, and this is no secret. Software improvements have significantly helped (Lockheed Martin has taken quite a few left jabs to the chin over this, and have responded slowly, although like many big aerospace contractors, they've practically had to have the feedback kicked into them). As far as the DZ, comms, defensive systems, etc, etc, go, there is no doubt that one pilot will be head down most of the time, and that he will be quite busy. But the aeroplane is very easy to fly on the HUD, and the S/A from this and the head down displays (map included) is twenty times what you get in an E or H or any other model for that matter.

The big problem with the J that I see and have experienced, is trying to operate it like it is an E or H or K or whatever. If your organisation tries to do this, they will unfortunately encounter a lot of trauma. It basically flies the same, but requires a fairly fundamental change in operating philosophy (to put it simply, you have to cut out the crap.....which is a very refreshing feeling I can tell you) - something which doesn't come easy when your organisation has been flying Hercs for decades.

Let's not kid ourselves - the concept of a fast, low flying aeroplane being flown by one pilot with only one other cockpit crew member doing everything else is not a new one and is common to this day. But to apply it to the C-130J is going to take a bit more forward thinking (a rare phenomenon in the military) and a bit of help from the manufacturer in the way of systems design, etc.