PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cadet Pilot Program of Emirates
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2010, 05:57
disconnected

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A word in defence

As I am often training EK cadets, I think I should offer a word in their defence.

Yes they are lucky their country gives them this golden opportunity. I wish my country had done so. However the cadests are not responsible for the cadet program, they have only taken advantage of this offer. Who wouldn't?

Yes they are young and occasionally irresponsible. But if any of you lot were not similarly so at the same age, I suggest you are delusional.

While occasionally I meet one with a bit of an attitude problem, I find this is soon corrected by the EK training establishment. They do not get a lot of slack in this area and are quickly brought to size.

For the most part the cadets are humble, courteous and try very hard. The demands placed on them are not easy. If anyone thinks it is a walk in the park then I suggest they actually find out about the cadet program - from start to qualified FO.

Inexperienced? Definitely. They miss a lot not going through the usual channels. They know this, and often express the wish to have had the chance to do other forms of aviation before being committed to simulators and wide-bodies.

There is not a pilot I know who hasnt at one stage or another been arrogant and not know what he did not know. Some are dead because of it.

It is encumbent of every other EK pilot who comes in contact with the cadets before or after training to instill the values that we all claim to aspire to. To draw divisions and opinions at the outset, is discriminatory and does nothing to promote a professional aviation culture in future generations.