PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Norfolk Island ditching
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2010, 00:59
morno

Received 319 Likes on 119 Posts
I wouldn't worry Owen, Compylot (is that a shortened way of writing "Computer Pilot"?) is just looking for someone to throw **** on.

Are the youth of today so shallow minded that they can't comprehend this?
This coming from someone who has their age as 19?

Compylot,
If you think that you would be unable to think logically in the event of an emergency, please don't fly around any of my family. I know one of the first instincts of any human being is their own survival (well it was of this guy anyway, once the aircraft was sinking. Not so sure when he was considering his fuel load), but this guy also had a responsibility to his passengers and fellow crew for their safety and survival. He was, afterall, the "Pilot in Command".

I would like to think that if I were sinking in my aircraft, and I had other people onboard who may not have known where the exits were as well as myself, then I'd take the 30 seconds or so, to ensure they were all directed as best as possible towards the exits. If I didn't, it would be something that dwells on my mind for quite some time if someone died because of my negligence! Passenger briefings are required of course, but I think of them more as directions for if I'm incapacitated. In the event of an emergency, the PIC is still responsible for everyone's safety.

For those who have asked, CAO 82.0 refers to ANYONE flying an aircraft under an AOC. There is then an additional reference for anyone flying an aircraft under an AOC, that is carrying out passenger carrying charter to Norfolk. So regardless of your operation (be it Airwork, Charter, RPT), you must have alternate fuel for Norfolk.

Checkboard does bring up an interesting point though. Why is this requirement not contained on the approach plates for Norfolk, under the Alternate minima's?

morno