PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C130J just a strat aircraft?
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2002, 07:04
Mike RO'Channel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sorry i inferrred that 2 pilots in any ac at LL wouldn't work - I apologise to to single seat/helo chaps but 2 pilots in a Herc won't work. For the following reasons
It is quite a fast ac and can maintain a good and constant 250-150 ft msd (thats why FJ normally whizz over the top without seeing us ) but the ac is quite cumbersome, especially at heavy weights, and is relatively diificult to trim. Therefore, the P1 spends most of his time just flying the ac! The P2 will spend a majority of his time heads down (map reading (K) or button pressing (J)) - neither looking out properly . From my time at LL, it is a well accepted fact that the Air Eng is the one who always spots the wires, masts, other ac etc. Add to that comao, DZ, comms, EW threats and counters and leading a formattion etc. The J guys always tell me how busy they are in the route phase so goodness knows so busy they will be at LL despite any software. Nope, sorry I can't see it working.

As for weight, payload, speed distance problems - I can only base this on present performance. The truth is, at the moment, in the present theatre on present leg times/routes etc, the end customer (Loggies) gets a better service from the K model - FACT! The 155, 000 is the limit for the J but for non SF Ks it is 160,000 lbs - FACT.
Also, Herc K CDT - 16 hrs, J - 14 hrs roughly a 25 pc reduction but the J is only 10 pc faster - work it out!)

However, bringing stuff out of AFG will be slightly safer as the J will be better able to climb over the mountains, esp in the prsent temps

I have no particular axe to grind and i have friends on both fleets - I just get the impression that both sets of crews have rose tinted spectacles. On balance however, as an impartial observer, I think the J is white elephant and crews are trying to run before they can walk. I just hope they don't push too far.