PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot handling skills under threat, says Airbus
Old 14th Jan 2010, 21:10
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roger Coppid 4th January 2010 19:15
You mentioned "when the conditions are good", but they were. We had Cavok and light winds, so I think he should have let me have some fun and try it. I think the Airbus can have things switched off to make it go Law-Directe, we should do that sometimes too, as you never know when you might need these skills-right?
Well, if this isn't some kid with a computer pulling our pxsser and this is for real, this sounds like another Perpignan-in-the-making to me. Next thing we'll hear about is a crew "trying out Alpha Prot", just for the fun of it.

If you're serious, it's the epitome of personal irresponsibility as a transport pilot to experiment with your airplane while passengers are on board and it is almost the same thing doing it without passengers on board because one threatens the viability of one's employer.

FYI Roger, take a look at the FAA's Safety Alert For Operations, "Safety During Positioning Flights" and, "Review of Flight Data Recorder Data from Non-Revenue Flights"

Pilots unions and pilots themselves want protection from inappropriate use of flight data from their flights. They can't have it both ways.

If you're shutting off hydraulic systems on an A320 "just for the fun of it", to me all protections regarding use of the data are off because you and your fellow crew member are intentionally non-compliant with SOPs and are operating outside the boundaries of most airlines' published safety reporting policies.