PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maun,Namibia and Zambia it is then!!!
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2010, 12:06
Kash360

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Afternoon guys,

The tempature is in the high 30's and hardly any wind movment at ground level. Which means it's hot hot hot!!

After a very late night was a very early start. Last night i was invited by a few pilots to there house which was having a few guys around for a few beers and abit of a call of duty 4 night. Had a great time and chatted to the pilots.

All the pilots know how frustrating it can be to be in my position because they have been through it. The genral advice i get around town is hang in there and stick it out. Which im sure is great advice, but like many of you out there as well as i have always been used to the simple process of sending your CV waiting for a call for an interview and if your lucky you will get a job. BUT this is Africa and it's a tight knit community in Maun.
Where the process is completely different you leave your home and travel and visit the operators every morning. And hopefully your number will come up and you will be hired.

This process can and sometimes be frustrating and i wont lie sometimes you do think to yourself is this the right place for me. However THIS IS THE PROCESS and to be a pilot here you must adhere to it.

Me and the other guys laugh about our situation that we have put ourselves in. And have now elected our president for the unemployed club.
After a few hours sleep and meeting the guys at our usual meeting point ( Bon arrive) i found out that while i was sleeping 4 more people and turned into town.

I was one of these guys who came of an Air Botswana flight all blue eyed and bushy tailed wanting to know all the gossip and fit in with everyone and get a job. But beleive it or not when you hear stories of people being here 2 maybe 3 months it puts things into perspective.

The number of people in town i beleive is now upto 20 and rising by the day. And hope that everyone of us gets the jobs we are looking for but the truth is there is not going to be 20 positions. So someone will be turned away. Will i be one of those who return home in a few months and think what a waste. I think not, i think that if i do get turned away i will take my memories with me and look into my families eyes and say that i TRIED and never waited for for food to fall on my plate instead i went and looked for it!

Time is a funny thing we have, i remember my farther once saying that time will heal allot of things but it never heals regrets. So i know that i will not regret this experience.

But anyway i have done my rounds and again found no fruit from the harvest today. But i will be there again blue eyed and bushy tailed tomorrow. In search for the holy grail.

But YES i do hope that the magazine article i have been offered makes a difference for me.

To all my peers thank you for reading my posts, I hope this finds you well. In time we will all look back on our journey and laugh. But we must make the journey first.

And as always this is not my thread it's yours too. And with your advice people thinking of making a similar move to me will hopefully read this and appricate your input. So please post on here. If any of you have any leads forr me world wide please PM me.

For now take care!!

Last edited by Kash360; 14th Jan 2010 at 16:53.