PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Norfolk Island ditching
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2010, 01:48
puff

Received 29 Likes on 9 Posts
Firstly I think it's admirable that people are defending the crew, thats fine, however the fact that everyone lived was more sheer luck than good management anywhere along the flight.

The Facts - as per the report.
Firstly higher than expected headwinds = more fuel required than planned
Updated weather during the flight - weather below alt. minima = more fuel/diversion possibly required.

Surely firstly with these 2 items in mind and heading to a remote island with non precision approaches dictate a command decision that fuel would be an issue and diversion is needed?

Ignoring that lack of decision - they are then at TOD NLK - are continued to be told that WX was awful and below alt minima, yet they press on. I remember at PPL level being told to 'never back yourself into a corner'. In my opinion NLK at night, rotten WX and minimum fuel is the deepest darkest corner you could find.

They then continue to do approach after approach, then DITCH an aircraft into the ocean without formulating a plan with the very people who would rescue you. There are delays in NLK with launching boats due to no jetty. At the very least surely you would have wanted to communicate an approx direction and have communicated DME/GPS distance via radio before you actually hit. The facts show that the ground were searching in completely the wrong area, and it was just sheer luck that the airport fireman happened to on gut instint drive a different direction, and the PIC happened to have a torch, AND they were able to see it.

Lastly it appears that the PIC left the cockpit with a possibly unconscious(or at least dazed) F/O in a cabin rapidly filling with water, and upon finding a suitable exit left the aircraft leaving his crew and pax to fend for themselves. It was just very lucky for the medical crew onboard that they had experienced one of the best training programs when it comes to underwater extraction that everyone managed to get out.

Am I missing something that would dictate that we would be giving the crew kudos for all the above or was I reading a different report ?