PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 45 minutes in a T-33
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2010, 22:06
TheChitterneFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whilst that I wouldn't wish to denegrate any historical statement made by anyone, this sort of disclosure doesn't neccessarily mean that there is a case for supporting the (so-called) heroic exploits of someone who 'thought' that he/she was equal in his/her capabilities of that of a fully qualified pilot; the outcome of which was a survivable 'arrival' back onto 'Terra Firma' (although in somewhat of an unconventionable manner).

The term 'stupidity' comes to mind; there again, there have been quite a few instances of 'idiots' who were also pretentious in thinking that they too; were pilots?

In risking life or limb; without any thought for others, this particular flight came to rest just short of destroying the whole flight-line of many other very expensive jet aircraft... and the lives of people working on the ground.

Contrarary to popular belief; no, this doesn't show that any old 'Joe-Public' can handle a jet aeroplane; or, come to think of it; any other type of aeroplane... piston, floats, or glider. I spent twenty years sitting behind two pilots (as a Flight Engineer) before embarking upon 'taking control' as a private pilot and, I can assure you, that, despite my not inconsidderable flying experience as a F/E, I wouldn't have dreampt; not in my wildest dreams, of climbing aboard even the simplest form of jet trainer and taking to the skies without any prior tuition (or experience).

What a 'numpty'! If it were my elder brother who took to the skies in such an innapropriate manner I wouldn't be too keen to advertise it to the rest of the world; especially on PPrune!

TCF