PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Accountability?
Thread: Accountability?
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2010, 20:34
CirrusF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the late 60s early 70s the RAF did indeed follow current US practice. It was quite the norm for the wg cdr or stn cdr to be penalised for the errors or mishaps for a subordinate.
I very much doubt that the RAF was at that time following "current US practice".

It is quite simple - if the senior officer has properly briefed the subordinate, with clear orders, sops, and limitations, but the subordinate fails to follow those orders, sops and limitations - then the senior officer has carried out his duties correctly and is not implicated. The subordinate shoud then be held to account. The senior officer is only held to account if he has failed to brief properly the subordinate. You can fault the US military for a few things, but not their command procedures. To suggest that current US procedures equate to UK procedures fifty years ago is not credible.

I am still frankly staggered by some of the well-documented mong flying that has occured in the RAF recently. There should be a culture of zero-tolerance for incidences such as the Typhoon China Lake crash, the Hawk at Cranwell, or the Caterick Puma.

I remember my ex-Bucc OC ULAS calling finals 3 greens on the Bulldog. Luckily for him, they were down!
He was quite right to have that reflex.