PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More easyJet Pilot Slavery Deals - Oxford Aviation Academy
Old 13th Jan 2010, 13:05
clanger32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NSF - I agree with much of what you, WWW and Puma230 have to say. The logic is indefatigable. But I would counter with "if not them, then who?". Balpa - and I'm actually totally agnostic on their value, so not trying to knock them - have done NOTHING to date to stop this....indeed it seems from the outside that instead of improving things, they've only been steadily degrading to this point, where a temp contract on a P(massively over the top)TF basis is the deal available.

Meanwhile, all the time training costs rise pressuring the need for the newbie to get a career on the road = adding pressure to take these deals.

MY (capitals deliberately) overall point is that time and time and time again the clarion call comes that this problem is solely of the newbies making. Yet, all we see is the situation getting worse despite the massive majority of newly qualified pilots NOT taking these schemes on. Several more sensible captains have heeded that this isn't as a result of people trying to enter the profession (NSF for one notable exception), but the issue is and HAS TO BE "if you don't stand up for your own career, why do you expect anyone else to do so for you?"

So I respect - truly - what you three gentlemen (apologies - massive assumption there!) have achieved and the experience you have, but time and again it's "it's not my problem", or "I'll be going against my contract", or "we're just doing our job" - so how DO we stop this? Wait for an attack of conscience from the airlines? Hardly likely. Wait for [enough] smoking holes in the ground to force legislation? Well, I hope you're confident enough in your own abilities that it won't be you or any of your friends in the LHS of the a/c that makes that hole.

It's already at the point where a simple "pay for your type rating and get a job" seems a bloody good deal. But if people won't force the issue, I'm struggling to see how it's going to get fixed. Longer term, it inevitably leads to pay for command and the detriments that brings to training and LHS positions....food for thought.