PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: To hand fly, or use the automatics?
Old 13th Jan 2010, 11:19
teresa green

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sigh, don't get me started. Airmanship, yes A-I-R-M-A-N-S-H-I-P, remember that, when pilots were allowed to think for themselves. One of my great memories was when one of the very senior TAA captains threw a manual at me (and I mean threw) and stated, find out what sh&t they have in their jesus book about this problem, ( a nose wheel problem) because regardless of what freckin crap they have written anybody with half a brain could sort it out themselves! Yes times have changed, aircraft have changed, but I look back at the times when pilots like him were frustrated at the slow but insidious march to death by manual. It had to happen of course, the aircraft are far more complicated, and pilots of my era would be bamboozled by all the computers, but for us old blokes who flew a magic aircraft like the DC9, a complicated little bastard, that you could not trust for five minutes, a pocket rocket that really made you work, and made you think, but you loved unconditionally, I am glad I flew when I did, we were pilots not systems managers, I think they call it progress!