PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tutor Mid-air report.
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2010, 10:46
bobward

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
I agree with RB887, the risks driving to/from AEF are far greater than those associated with flying. In my Wing, their airships have decided that individual units will drive their cadets to the local AEF, presumably for budget reasons. So we shift from a regime of professional, regimented drivers to something different. I'd like to see the risk assessment on that one.

Second, the visibility issue. Surely most civilian aircraft are white, yet there seem to be few collisions reported. On my AEF the usual sortie is around 20 minutes. Back in the Bulldog days it was 40. By reducing sortie length don't you concentrate the traffic, as it can't go as far?

Finally, the discussion on do you/don't you send the cadet over the side. I've been in the ATC since 1966. In my part of the world I know of no cadet who's had to do this. When you add up the number of sorties each year, that must run into a couple of million?

Last year was a very sad time for everyone, both in the Service and the Air Cadet family. Despite this, the kids on my unit still clamour for the flying slots we have. We always have more volunteers than spaces, so what does that tell you?

On a personal note, I've been fortunate enough to frequently bag empty spaces on AEF's over that time. What impresses me the most is the enthusiasm and professionalism of the pilots I've had the privilege to fly with. I have complete and absolute trust in them. If he says go, I'll go, likewise if he stays stay. I've only got a VFR PPL, and about 200 or so hours. I'll defer to the man (or lady) in the driving seat as their training, skills and experience far outweighs mine.

Thank you to all of you on the AEF's. I've seen the faces and heard all the chatter when the kids come back after their first ever trip in a proper aircraft. I just wish I could bottle and sell it!