PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Let's make our Profession prestigious again
Old 13th Jan 2010, 08:09
UAV689

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would love for the the 1000 hr rule to be in place and for people to gain some more hand on flying and decision making skills in light aircraft as you must do in the states, and I am currently training for my atpl's (i am not in a rush to jump into a scarebus without getting experience first)

I dont think it is that feasible to do here however, is there a big enough market for glider towing, instructing, air taxi etc to enable to get the experience? I personally dont think there is. Gliding is unfortunately a dying sport with dwindling numbers and clubs struggling to stay open (as a current glider pilot this is a known fact)

Although I have no experience of air taxi I imagine that it is dying out also with the advent of cheap low cost jet flights i imagine that will be an avenue closed soon as well.

That leaves instructing, and from what i can glean that seems to be a bit of a struggle as well now, for sure if every one of the 2-300 stary eyed OAA 'graduates' each year pursued FI route that would put far to many instructors on the market, surely there arenot that many PPL students and that amount of new instructors would destroy the already low t+c for exisiting career instructors!