PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AA Crash Jamaica
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2010, 17:54
KC135777

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
p51guy said:
"I've landed at San Jose Costa Rica in a 757 with an authorized 15 knot tailwind because circling would have put us into the clouds because of rising terrain. The airport is at 3000 feet landing uphill. Next leg we flew to MIA and a cell was moving in from the west, us landing east. About a 4 mile final we got the windshift to a 15 knot tailwind. We had a 13,000 ft runway at sea level but now were not legal. I knew if we went around we would end up at Orlando because the cell would then close the airport for a while. Yes we decided to land because we had just done the same thing up in the higher airport with a much shorter runway. Was it right? No. It made sense and we heard nothing about it. Happened almost 10 years ago but the rules are the same today. What is safe and what is legal sometimes aren't the same. Normal tailwind limits for us on the 757 was 10 knots unless it was a special airport. I see it still is."

If you're not retired, please don't make up your own rules. You (or your CA) did not have the "emergency authority" to land MIA w/ a 15 kt TW. You were lucky. What would you have said at the hearing, IF you guys dinged something on landing? Willful noncompliance ONLY gets you in trouble, or people hurt, or bent metal...unless you're "lucky". Don't chance it. Go to FLL/PBI/MCO and wait it out. We get paid by the minute. THERE IS NO MISSION.

KC135777