PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Garuda pilot's conviction overturned
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2010, 17:53
TIMA9X

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
by me"I don't believe he should have been jailed for life or any pilot for that matter"
I stand by this statement, (not for life anyway) the problem in some Asian countries is the loss of face issue, which does not fit with proper CRM training or CRM is not regarded seriously as it should be in the training departments by some Asian airlines. Sadly it is a culture thing, in Indonesia the Captain still has the last say and many FOs simply allow this to happen.

I did say
What he did on that approach was outrageous.
I feel in this case the co pilot could have done more to avert the situation if both men had a better understanding or belief in the purpose of CRM in the first place.

The second issue, many strips in Indonesia still to this day have below standard over-run areas at both ends of the runways, (below acceptable western standards) some with substantial drops into separate fenced off farming land hampering quick rescue attempts by firetrucks etc.

I can't give statistics on how many "go a rounds" are recorded in Indonesia but I suspect much lower than say in the West or more developed Asian aviation countries with much better attitudes to pilot training cultures and CRM.

Having said that, I do respect your point expat400 but remind you of the tragic crash of SQ flight 006 at Taipei airport although this was a take-off incident should this Captain be jailed for life? He has to live with it for the rest of his life.
Rushing to Die: The crash of Singapore Airlines flight 006 - Part One, Airline Safety, Airline crashes