PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Let's make our Profession prestigious again
Old 12th Jan 2010, 15:47
Avenger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interestingly this topic came up last week and the issue of the "right stuff" getting through selection and the "wrong stuff" bridging the capability gap with cash was discussed at length. Low hours pilots that used to come through rigorous selection then used to get their heads down and actually try to learn and improve. at Cathy a poor line training performance meant you were out.. full stop. Whilst I am NOT tarring all the SSTR and PTF guys with the same brush, as many many do put the effort in, there is still a minority that feel they have PAID FOR THE RIGHT to sit RHS and basically put in minimal effort, regard the exercise as a crumpet chatting joy ride and then moan on these very forums when given their marching orders. Apart from EASY and BMI I know of no "Partner Airlines" that will send guys packing as they are fearful of the bad press and the termination of the revenue stream. The industry is becoming corrupted by spineless management and greedy TRTOs. A colleague of mine has just gone part time, not because he can afford it, but because every flight is a "Training Flight" and he is totally knackered. Address the selection proceedure, the allowed mix within an airline and the curtailment criteria and we may start moving forward.