PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2010, 10:37
Thor Nogson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bast0n
I have always been against the "gross" negligence, criminal culpability, and all the other statements that have been thrown at this unfortunate crew.
That doesn't sit well with your
stick to what is known and there you have it. An aircraft flown into the ground in bad weather that they should have avoided.............
That sounds like you were suggesting gross negligence to me...

If you don't mind me asking, why did you edit out the "I have always been against the "gross" negligence" part of your previous post?

I have also tried to dig a little at those who I believe have tried to obfuscate the argument with breakfast menus, airworthiness issues that seem to have little bearing on this actual flight
My line all along, with a little irreverant digging at the above is that in all probability , bearing in mind that this aircraft had no data recording equipment, was serviceable on take off and so on and unnecessarily flew into the ground. I realise that the Hine suggestion on deceased aircrew is relevant, but does it rule out a verdict of "pilot error"?
Bearing in mind this aircraft had no data recording equipment, we don't know if any of the airworthiness issues had any impact on the flight, do we?

Likewise, since we do not know what the pilots did or did not do, how can you suggest a verdict of pilot error. What was their error?!?

I'm not saying that it was not pilot error, far from it, but it cannot be proven.

Take a look at it from the other side. Two very competent pilots flew straight into a cloud cover and then a hill they knew was obscured by it when they had other clear and obvious options available. It as unlikely as any other scenario.

Two lots of heads downs to deal with emergencies is not a good idea especially when the crew knew that they were very close to high ground covered in cloud.
You're correct, of course. But if there was an emergency that needed their attention, it would probably have been relevant...

Best wishes and good luck in proving whatever points you are persuing.
I, like many others, don't feel the need to prove anything. This is the crux of the matter, as without recording equipment, it's not possible to prove much.

I'd be happy to "not positively determine" the points in question...

TN