PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2010, 10:15
bast0n

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thor

Thanks for commenting on my posts.

I have always been against the "gross" negligence, criminal culpability, and all the other statements that have been thrown at this unfortunate crew. I have also tried to dig a little at those who I believe have tried to obfuscate the argument with breakfast menus, airworthiness issues that seem to have little bearing on this actual flight and the machinations of Whitehall and the dreaded Boscombe Down clique who from practical experience of my own seem often to be a. hidebound and b. not in the real world of those out on the ground. (Ducking as appropriate.)

My line all along, with a little irreverant digging at the above is that in all probability , bearing in mind that this aircraft had no data recording equipment, was serviceable on take off and so on and unnecessarily flew into the ground. I realise that the Hine suggestion on deceased aircrew is relevant, but does it rule out a verdict of "pilot error"?

I have in the past mentioned DR and use of a stopwatch as a fallback when approaching from the sea high ground in bad weather and many other basic airmanship points especially the bit about that whatever is going on in the cockpit,(bitten by wasps etc), someone MUST keep flying the aircraft. Two lots of heads downs to deal with emergencies is not a good idea especially when the crew knew that they were very close to high ground covered in cloud.

The premise that this aircraft from the last waypoint suddenly took complete control of its own destiny and hurled itself for probably over a couple of minutes straight into the Mull with no distress call and so on seems to me to be a bit far fetched.

Actually my views on this saga are pretty unimportant but if if looks like a duck, quacks like a duck etc etc.............

Pursuing the heirarchy is not of interest to me, though obviously very important to some - but the actual mechanics of this flight is fascinating to those of us who have been there, seen it, done it.

Best wishes and good luck in proving whatever points you are persuing.

David