PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tutor Mid-air report.
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2010, 10:13
Wholigan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK - out on a major limb here and I expect to hear about this post from "official sources"!

Just to put all this talk about parachutes into perspective (in my view anyway), as I understand it, in the (approximately) 60 years of cadet flying there have been no instances of cadets jumping from an AEF training aircraft. Certainly if this is not true, then the figure involved is so miniscule that it is worth ignoring. Certainly I have found it impossible to find any record of such an event, and I was told when I took over 3 AEF that no such thing had ever happened. However, I bet someone will prove me wrong in statistical terms, but that will not change my overall views on this.

Also - and purely in my view - the chances of me deciding to get a cadet to jump from a Tutor are infinitessimally small. Under almost all circumstances I believe that it would be safer, and with a better chance of success, to put the aircraft into a field, rather than to try to get a cadet to abandon the aircraft and parachute to earth. There are only 2 occasions when it might be necessary to jump from the aircraft: if a control surface has been removed from the aircraft as a result of a collision; and if there were a raging cockpit fire. Almost certainly, if a control surface has gone, the aircraft is highly likely to be uncontrollable and doing its own - probably very violent - manouevres that would probably preclude successful abandonment. Even with a cockpit fire, I would certainly weigh the odds of me getting the aircraft into a field rapidly and then getting me and the cadet out of it, against the probability of successful airborne abandonment.

Why do I think that abandonment would be difficult even under totally controlled circumstances. This is something that I certainly would not raise officially, but in my view the majority of cadets are small and do not have the strength and agility to get out of an aircraft in an 80 plus knot "wind", and the chance of them getting the parachute release pulled successfully is very small. Why would I not raise it officially? Because the "system" would insist on "strength and agility" tests for each and every cadet that flies with AEFs. I believe that 70% plus of cadets would fail such tests and would thus be denied the experience of flying because of a perceived danger that - in reality - is pretty much non-existent. The odds of being in a situation where the chance of survival by abandonment is better than the chance of survival by forced landing in a field must tend towards zero.

That's my twopennorth and I stress that it is only MY view.