PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tutor Mid-air report.
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2010, 06:39
Karl Bamforth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Since the accident, the base I was at not too long ago (with an EFT sqn and AEF) started regular demonstrations of actually jettisoning the canopy. Not sure if this is a fleet-wide implementation though."

First I have heard of it and sounds very expensive.

Greenedgejet,

The canopy jettison mechanism is tested as part of the servicing.

When the time came I regularly went to the crewroom and found instructors or students to come and "have a go".
No point in engineers pulling the red handle. Whenever possible I let aircrew pull the jettison mechanism with engineers standing by to stop the canopy being damaged.
It was not policy to give aircrew this opportunity but seemed like a good idea, and maybe will be implemented at all UAS/AEF sites.

As for how complicated the jettison is, that too needs more explanation.

Canopy normal opening is to pull the large D handle down and rearwards (90 deg), this unlocks the canopy and allows it to move rearwards. Pilots do this on every flight.

The only difference in emergency jettison is to pull the red handle, then proceed with the normal opening, IE pull the D handle down and back, this time the handle will move beyond 90 deg and unlock the canopy from the rails. If necessary then push the front of the canopy up into the airflow.

Essentially pilots carry out most of the jettison drill every flight.

I very much doubt that anyone would have had the awareness and time to complete the abandonment drill in this case.