PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Let's make our Profession prestigious again
Old 12th Jan 2010, 06:18
Bergholt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cpt Sunshine

I do not wish to enter the debate about the rights and wrongs of 'pay-to-fly schemes' but it seems to me that your letter over-emphasises the safety factors associated with low-houred cadet pilots on such schemes.

Of course, safety must the prime consideration. However, low-houred cadets flying large passenger aircraft is nothing new. In 1987 British Airways introduced its sponsored trainee pilot scheme for cadets age over 18 and under 24 years. Other than a genuine interest in flying, there was no requirement that the trainee should have a minimum number of flying hours. The training undertaken by the British Airways cadets was much the same as that currently undertaken by those currently on 'pay-to-fly' schemes: CPL/IR and 'frozen ATPL' followed by a Type rating on a BAC 1-11 or Boeing 737.

British Midland Airways and Britannia Airways offered similar schemes.

Apart from the obvious fact that cadets these days are having to pay for their training, I would be surprised if there were any difference in the quality of the low-houred FOs today compared with those who were trained under the sponshorship schemes. Indeed many of the cadets who have been through the pay-to-fly schemes would have been accepted by the airlines offering sponsorship shemes 10-20 years ago.