PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: To hand fly, or use the automatics?
Old 12th Jan 2010, 04:09
Gnadenburg

Received 92 Likes on 41 Posts
Flicking through the legacy A320 QRH I am going to list current QRH procedures where good raw data skills necessary. It is not just the basic skill of flying raw data, it is the ability to fly raw data and manage your flight deck in a failure scenario. Practice and proficiency important. It is debatable how perishable these skills are but many pilots I have flown with don't have them to start with or to a good standard.

1) Emergency Electrical Configuration. From simulator experience, this is a critical area as I have seen pilots who struggle with their raw data flying invariably are task saturated in this demanding scenario.

2) Windshear. Mentions a pitch attitude if FD's not available. Sounds easy but lets not forget that disorientation in Airbus on GA has caused accidents.

3) Display Unit Failure. Take a few screens away and you're on that teeny-weeny back-up AH.

4) Unreliable Airspeed. "FD's off". Also, possibility of FPA errors so could be back to Navajo days. A pilot with strong raw data skills will be better prepared for this procedure than one who is not.

5) ADR 1+2+3 Fault. No FPA. Navajo days.

6) Volcanic Ash. Possible unreliable airspeed scenario.

7) Loss of FMS Data In Descent/Approach ( severe reset ). Saw this prior to it being a QRH procedure. Hard tuned ILS and VOR DME on approach to PEK. Raw data approach. Often misidentified with 8).

8) 2 x FMGC failure. Raw data.

I haven't the time to look through Vol 3 and come up with scenarios such as double FCU faults.

You can debate how often would you see these scenarios on the line? I would suggest from simulator experience, those crews who deal with the scenarios best have good core raw data flying skills and technique.

Ever since I have been on Airbus there has always been a tombstone approach to deficiencies in the automatics with either CPIP ( software updates ) or OEB's addressing failings. On a good day the aeroplane covers up areas of weakness in pilots through technology. But when that technology is at fault or limited, we have had some tragic accidents from mode confusion and disorientation. And in every Airbus airline I have worked with there have been spectacular incidents where erroneous information presented by FD's followed on GA or approach.

Raw data skills are a long way off from being replaced by fail safe technology. Cynically, I believe the loss of these skills is a cost factor. It is cheaper to have a lower standard of pilot available for recruiting purposes- addressing supply & demand issues.

Last edited by Gnadenburg; 12th Jan 2010 at 07:39.