PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Manston – History of No. 1 AEF (1967 to 1995)
Old 12th Jan 2010, 03:05
Dan Winterland

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Didn't fly with the AEF, but flew Chippies in and out of Manston a few times. Once in about 1988, I had to collect a Chippy from Manston for the summer camp at Coltishall. I got a lift in a Jaguar and got straight into the Chippy after signing the 700 still wearing leg restraints, g suit and oxygen mask. Got this piss taken a bit when I (eventually) got back to Colt.

Another time, I was ferrying a Chippy to Belgium, refuelling at Manton. The ceiling was 200' and right on the limits for a PAR. (I wasn't an AEF pilot, I had an IR on type.) I was haded over to a VHF frequency, but requested a UHF because the aircraft I was in had a full size UHF box and a tiny glider VHF in an almost inaccessable position under the instrument panel. They refused and kept on swapping me to other VHF frequencies and I was almost putting myself into UPs trying to tune the VHF. After I landed, I phoned ATC and asked what the problem with the UHF was. They replied ''But you're a Chipmunk, you don't have a UHF!''.