PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: To hand fly, or use the automatics?
Old 12th Jan 2010, 00:12
The Bunglerat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It sounds like the automated systems on your jet are much more labor intensive than mine.
They most definitely are. If this makes me sound lazy, so be it, but I much preferred the A330 to what I'm flying now - however I much prefer the company I'm working for now, otherwise I'd go back to the Airbus in a heartbeat. The days are very long, but at least I stay relatively close to home - which in the end is what it's all about for me in terms of lifestyle.

And if my reply was arrogant, I apologise, but to be honest, yours was a question that I wouldn't think necessary for any seasoned jet operator to need asking. As I said before, I am very much in favour of automatics, but in a time-critical situation indicative of the example I gave in my first post, the rate of response between a decision made by the human brain through to actual manipulation of the aircraft's controls, will always be faster through hand-flying than via an autopilot. Instructions to expect track shortening whilst still 30+ miles out from the field can usually be handled by the automatics without any problem. I'm talking about being downwind, abeam the runway threshold at 6000ft AGL, only to be instructed all of a sudden to take up a heading for base leg - when you were expecting another 20 track miles.

Last edited by The Bunglerat; 12th Jan 2010 at 00:26.