PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All i need now is the balls to try it
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2010, 18:19
Graviman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry, been busy on other stuff...

Bug,

A lot of carefull thought has gone into this machine. I'm guessing that you've done some testing on those skids to make sure they absorb energy for various scenarios. That rotorhead / swashplate looks like an engineering story in itself - one i'd be interested in hearing. Do you have any closeups of main rotor, tail rotor, control mech and rest of machine? Unless you are worried about disclosure of design etc. Looks like some interesting drivetrain around the (Triumph?) engine. Are those more belts hidden between those two aluminium plates?

The thing that astonishes me is that this was all designed by one person! Looks like many man-years of work. All you?

Just remember that every new engineering project is a collection of faults just waiting to be discovered. Take every opportunity to check that fatigue is not gently accumulating cycles (i know you've done FEA) and that wear is not gently rubbing away contact. Check every bolt torque as often as you can (vibration & joint movement) and look to see that those belts haven't picked up any FOD. Definately check welds very regularly - with die penetrant if practical.

BTW does the rotor / drivetrain have enough inertia without the ring-rotor for <2 seconds of flight with no power? Talking with the many (always extremely helpful) test pilots on Rotorheads i get the impression that the key is to carefully think out what the objective of the each flight is then figure out the absolute minimum risk way to achieve that objective. Sometimes that may involve sitting down for a cup of coffee.

Just my £0.005...