PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - heaps of questions from absolute wannabe!
Old 11th Jan 2010, 15:23
DC323

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know all too well the situation you are in. Whether to choose the red pill or the blue pill! Well for that matter there are many different pathways to choose in aviation and what maybe right for some, is not right for others.
My personal opinion is that first you should research (not just the internet, but going down and talking too) various flight schools in your area. Gather as much information as you can, ask to be shown the aircraft, facilities, etc. Doing your homework here could avoid you wasting time and money at a place you are not happy with.
I would also research on how you are intending to finance flying. It can be expensive (certainly when it comes to ratings, etc.) This is a good idea as it can avoid any delays to your training if you get your finances in place before you start. I understand that this is very difficult.....especially in the present economic climate!
Then start training. Study hard and learn as much as you can. Believe it or not, this is where the 'basics' are taught and a lot of people view flying Cessnas, etc as just 'ticking the boxes' to get a licence to go to a jet job. This is not so. Some of the best things you will learn are at this stage and form the foundation of your flying level and skill on which to build on.
Next phase is finding a job. Most head to either charter work or flight instructing. Many will debate the advantages over the other. I am not about to enter into it, but I will say on a personal note - that flying 'bush' is some of the best flying you will do. I'd head up North and grab whatever you can. Doing a couple of hours in Cessna 210 before you go up couldn't hurt (if your flying school has one or can x-hire one). Many see this as a stepping stone. Try not to view things like that. Your aim should be to become a pilot. Be proud in that fact. If you take pride in your job and again study hard then the rest will follow. Do not fixate initially on becoming an airline pilot. Instead view the position as what you would ULTIMATELY like to become. Instead of looking for the quick way in, I would be looking at the best way to just start flying. Sure, some have been lucky and have gone from flight school straight into jets - and good on them! But don't count on it. Shortcuts are out there but are not the best way in. Don't learn the "tricks of the trade", instead, learn the trade.

University degrees are helpful and nice to look at. But I would get flying. At the end of the day, it is a numbers game and hours count. Plus, you can do your degree online now via correspondance. So, you could get a job and do that.

These are just my personal opinions (and I am in no way against cadetships or uni courses and have no prejudice against the pilots that graduate that way. It is simply a case of "if the shoe fits...." I have friends that are QF cadets and went to uni.) and are neither right nor wrong. But when all is said and done, nothing beats experience! And for the most part, flying in general is a great one! I am lucky to have made it into an airline position flying the 737 and I absolutely love what I do. But, I have many fond memories (and a sore liver! ) of the road it took to get here and I wouldn't trade them for quids! Print out a picture of the aircraft you would ultimately like to fly. Hang it above your desk and when those CPL/IREX/ATPL late night exam sessions are driving you around the bend, just glance up. PM by all means if I can help with any questions. Other than that, Happy Landings!

DC3