PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2010, 11:31
walter kennedy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A GENERAL POINT
The one thing I share with the bulk of the campaigners is that the verdict of gross negligence was wrong simply because blame could not be put onto the crew with “absolutely no doubt whatsoever” - this would have required that a crew error had been positively identified which directly led to the crash and certainly this extreme verdict should never be applied simply because no other reason was identified.
I have said this years ago that I believe the verdict was announced to allay possible public unrest at the time by implying that it was definitely just a case of pilot error, no room for conspiracy, nothing untoward could have happened here, etc. and to put an end to deeper digging. As I recall, there was a theme of painting the pilots as cavalier, listening to a pop station, a psychologist being wheeled out to say they may have been incompatible, that they were travelling too fast, etc. etc. etc. - any spin they could to put the pilots in a bad light. Why?
You will not succeed in clearing their names using your current tactics until the powers that be deem it safe to do so in terms of there being no chance of public outcry as to how this team so conveniently got crashed out of the way of that peace process – as the ramifications of that peace process are being felt hard now in both communities, I feel that this time is still some way off. As things stand, the campaigners are still playing into the hands of the powers that be, stalling any deeper digging for an indefinite period. Perhaps getting to the whole truth is the only timely way?