PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gulf Air Developments
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2010, 06:30
Panama Jack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not trying to compete with Oprah's Book Club, but here is some suggested reading:

Introduction to Air Transport Economics: From Theory to Applications by Vasigh, Fleming and Tacker.

An interesting read for Skybeds and other forum members who are having troubles grasping the basic economic concepts in our industry. Amongst other things, gives a good overview of revenue management programs and clues on such perplexing puzzles of why a full airplane does not necessarily mean a profitable flight.

For the rest of us, Who Moved My Cheese by Dr. Johnson is some good, one hour reading material to help guide through these types of crisis.

And then there is this little gem:

When Gordon Bethune took the captain's seat of Continental Airlines, in 1994, it was a company coming apart at the seams. Running at a loss of nearly $55 million a month and unable to pay its bills, Continental was on the verge of filing bankruptcy for the third time in a decade. In terms of quality, Continental was rated worst across the board and by a wide margin along the nation's top ten airlines. Not surprisingly, employee morale was also at rock bottom. Underpaid and embittered over having to take the rap for ineffective revolving-door management. . .
Sound familiar? Strangely, Mr. Bethune felt it essential to have frequent, direct, two-way line of communication with his employees. Sadly, the "current" newsletter is dated October 15, 2009: "On Saturday our first new airbus A320 touched down in Bahrain to the rapturous applause of a number of VIP’s, Board Members and members of the media." I understand that every manager has his own style but, IMHO, this is a huge opportunity . . . lost.

I don't recommend reading any mystery novels. We're already living it.

The Dilbert comic strip also helps give occasional humorous relief to corporate life. Nobody will know whether they are tears of laughter or sadness.

Last edited by Panama Jack; 11th Jan 2010 at 07:03.