PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AA Crash Jamaica
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2010, 01:38
PEI_3721

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mb 787Please use MAX auto brakes when in slightest doubt.. you may need to explain about the harsh braking but not about the Hull Loss !!!

Does this mean using autobrakes to demand the maximum value of deceleration, i.e. RTO, or just a limited deceleration from one of the other autobrake settings?
If the latter, or possibly in both instances, then the braking system may not use all of the available braking effort in very poor conditions – wet / non grooved /rubber deposits.

See page 13 of the presentation Landing on Slippery Runways.

Also, note page 14, which suggests that using manual braking maximizes the advantage of thrust reverse on ‘slippery’ runways, i.e. the better choice is to use maximum manual brakes in marginal conditions – it provides some protection from landing error (parameters outside of the assumptions in the data).

IMHO, no pilot need explain about harsh braking; you only need to explain to the passengers about the long delay in unloading the aircraft from the overrun area.

The link reference also provides example for the 738 landing performance and compares flap 30 / 40.
Although Boeing recommends using autobrake, apparently this is in conjunction with their landing data which assumes a reasonable touchdown point and using reference speeds.
I doubt that the published data would have provided an acceptable solution for the reported conditions in this accident, but then the crew might not have been aware of that.