PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tutor Mid-air report.
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2010, 23:07
RB877

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Korrol,

Not really sure of the intent behind your post, but for clarification ACP 34 is a training manual for cadet classification training. Like all of the other classification training manuals, its intent is to give the cadets an incite into aviation operations in order to pass an exam. I would no more expect cadets to be able to abandon an aircraft after reading it than I would expect them to be able to fly a helicopter after reading
Principles of Flight.

When at an AEF, as has been stated in previous posts the cadets are shown a briefing video and are questioned on abandonment drills. I agree that having a simulated cockpit and seats may help in the learning of this process, but when cadets often do not fly more than once a year, I question how effective this would be.

Personally, I would hope that abandoning the aircraft is considered by all as a last resort. Regardless of the amount of training that a cadet might realistically receive as a result of this report, I question the likelihood of even the most experienced person operating with a cool head in such a terrifying and tragic situation. Short of having a command ejection seat, I doubt that a reasonably practicable solution would be found that allows us to be confident that a young person will be able to do things correctly, in order to get out of an aircraft in the few seconds available. I would suggest that avoidance of an incident is a far more important focus.

RB