PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pitot heat check?
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2010, 21:45
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
Some in the group talking about not really needing an ASI (which includes me), are offering up "attitude" as an appropriate supplement to ASI information. Yeah I agree. However (noting a remark about attitude not being so useful on extremely steep approaches) brings me to point out that attitude is only a part of the "feel" technique of flying I promote. letting alone the seat of the pants thing, it's very simply a pitch force you feel in the controls.

Haven't we all noticed that while flying, (trim and power remaining unchanged) It requires a pull to fly more slowly, and a push to fly faster? All cerified planes are the same in this respect, it is a certification requirement. For this very reason. In unacellerated flight ('cause you can't get into accelerated flight without pulling on something), no matter what your attitude, you're not going to slow down, unless you pull! Worried about stalling? Push, and you're worries (about stalling) are over! No matter what the attitude or speed. (Caution, other worries may become rapidly appropriate!).

If you're hurtling along in the mighty spam can, the the ASI quits, don't start pulling ans pushing on things a lot, you'll be fine! When you finally have to approach and land, take it slow and easy, be aware of your attitude by what ever means you have, and pay attention to the pull force you're putting in. If it's increasing, you're going more slowly! If you're afraid of stalling while doing this, I suggest that recurrant training is a good idea.

ASI not vital to flight safety for a compotent pilot - try it before you knock it!