PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CARDIFF
Thread: CARDIFF
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2010, 20:43
heading 125

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In Reply to Blue up

Southside pass required - yes I have the same problem I have an all areas pass for the airfield including south side but if I want to fly privately on the southside then my pass is not valid or so they say.

I must correct you on a few issues (this seems to be the pattern on this web site - people either get confussed or are trying to miss lead others) Mode S is not required for flight in the Cardiff control zone, neither is a transponder Mode A or C for VFR flight (IFR yes it is required by law). You can base an aircraft in a field inside the control zone, however, again by law you have to have a working radio - hand held is good enough and you would need to get an ATC clearance before getting airbourne. This can be done by phone if necessary. Mode S capable radar will be installed in February and operational for ATC to use by August!!

It is not expensive to landing at Cardiff it is the mandatory handling which can add up to £85.

Cardiff is not anti GA it needs the resturant owner on the southside to be able to take landing fees and let pepole in and out securely -as a proffessional pilot I am sure you will agree could lead to all sorts of problems like someone riding a bike down the main runway!!!!

Cardiff is not increasing it airspace, Bristol is to allow aircraft to climb earlier when departing runway 09. Cardiff is involved with this as it controls that part of Bristols airspace.