PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Display 'C*ck Ups'
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2010, 19:37
ghostie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'Back in the day', when I used to attend RIAT as part of the Emergency Services, we, in the Wiltshire Ambulance Service got ourselves a new Chief Exec.

He was most interested in our volunteering for such a high profile event , and vowed to give those of us attending all the help he could. So, far from previous years, when we made our own way to Fairford in shared cars with no kit, this year, (95 or 96?) we were given a brand new Ambulance, fully kitted to take and use. This was the day when ambulances were white, with a green chequered stripe down the side. How proud we were to turn up and offer our new vehicle for use.

We were tasked with being part of the 'column', and one of our standby points at various times of the day, was to drive in convoy and park on the grass, next to the taxiway, near the far end of the runway. This was a great spot, being only metres from taxying aircraft and almost directly underneath the display line.

On the last day, weather conditions were almost perfect, and we were treated to the Reds displaying literally feet over our heads, particularly the syncro pair. We were bathed continuously with smoke, i recall particularly red smoke.

When we turned round at the end of the display, it was to be greeted with a lovely PINK ambulance, and I mean, visibly pink. It did not wash off, it had to be T cutted and polished.

I know, it was me that had to do it, and the Chief Exec? He lost interest and gave bugger all help after that. Not much of a tale, but its the only one I've got, and it took me hours to make it white again.