PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Lingus - 5
Thread: Aer Lingus - 5
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2010, 15:56
ayroplain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All flights could go through US immigration in Ireland avoiding the long queues in the US
I used to think this might be true but it is time now for this myth be done away with once and for all. It is not easy to introduce the subject of aviation when with friends or business associates but I do try to ask the odd question if only to satisfy my own curiosity. Over the past 12 months I managed to get a feel for this particular subject and judging by the views expressed it doesn't seem to be a runner.

The first question that is usually asked is "Where do they (Aer Lingus) fly to in US?" As soon as they hear the (now ever-diminishing) list of destinations the answer is a definite no. The US immigration factor is not a factor at all. Whether with family or on business they simply do not want to have to change to another aircraft and go through all the hassle at another airport. (I promise I didn't even mention the DAA).

For straightforward destinations like New York, Chicago, Orlando, LA, SFO they have direct flights. If they wished to fly to US cities that have no direct flights it would mean two segments. The last thing they want would be a third (albeit much shorter) flight. (and most certainly not with kids in tow)

These comments come from people who are based in various parts of the UK from the South coast to Glasgow but I wonder if people from continental Europe would think any differently about a Dublin hub.

The only bit of good news is that only one of the persons consulted had never heard of Aer Lingus.