PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pitot heat check?
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2010, 12:02
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think its a bit more than risk assement bose.

It seems there are pilots who have grasped the whole concept of flying. What your actually doing, how your actions alter how the aircraft fly's, why the plane does what it does when you do tamper with it. What you are actually doing with a control input, what the limits are and what is limiting them. They can be 45 hour pilots or 1000 hours pilots it does seem to make much difference.

And then there is another group where flying is a series of rules and regulations with a bit hand eye foot stuff. The reason behined those rules and regulations is not understood. There is a fixation on getting everything "right" the mathamatical solution to a wind correction must be applied to a hold or for that matter a nav leg to the degree in planning. The fact that you have to wag it later on in flight and you will hardly ever fly the heading you planned is missed. The thread on holding is a good example of this.

Again with the say lack of instuments in certain conditions in this thread. There is a group which obviously don't trust physics to continue working after a failure. The instruments are controlling them controlling the aircraft. It is also well known IR problem of fixation on 1 instrument instead of taking the full picture of all the information sources.

I had a stick shaker in the climb one sector. I quickly looked at the attitude and the power settings and the ASI. All were reading that I wasn't anywhere near the stall. So I didn't change anything and asked for the spurious stick shaker QRH card. After the Capatain had run it he was very complementry about the fact I hadn't done a stall recovery which had done to him previously. FO had manged to get them at +20 Vmo with the stick shaker still going and 20degs nose down before he took control. The previous FO had been in the mind set stick shaker equals stall, book says put nose forward until stickshaker stops.

Flying is part science and part art and part rule following. In a perfect pilot I presume they will all have equal bias. But more and more these days the rule following is taught and not really understood leaving the science and the art the disabled siblings.