PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LHR running out of de-icing fluid?
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2010, 11:47
jetsam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LHR running out of de-icing fluid?

I am a pilot for a major Intnl Airline and left LHR as pax Saturday night(9th). Just about managed to de-ice wings after snow shower and limited amount of fluid in the truck.

I was told by my company that one of our freighter aircraft inbound LHR was diverted to MAN due lack of de-icing fluid ( hot glycol mixed with water) at LHR. All cargo will have to be transported by road to LHR. Also from flight crew that no Anti-icing fluid (cold 100% Glycol to prevent adherence of snow) available at all; thus if it snows after de-icing, aircraft could not take off.(BA prob have own supplies perhaps).

This has potential to cut UK off from the world if more significant snow falls. My company has to obtain supplies in Beijing and ship it to LHR in a freighter to hold as a dedicated source for our aircraft as none available locally. Imagine the cost. Each ton or fluid takes 500kg or fuel to carry it from there.

Another UK logistic disaster caused by the Met Office's dogmatic belief in global warming and typical UK un-preparedness.

Jetsam