PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tutor Mid-air report.
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2010, 11:29
Flying Lawyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mary meagher

I don't doubt your expertise and experience as a glider pilot/instructor, but I'm not surprised your initial post provoked the reactions it did from those with expertise and experience in RAF flying generally, and specifically AEF flying. IMHO the responses were commendably restrained.
After giving readers the benefit of your wisdom "Midair collision happens because neither pilot saw the other in time to take evasive action" (which some might regard as a statement of the xxxxxing obvious) you asserted that "There are a lot of contributing factors involved here, not just the white colour of the Tutor." Correct again. However, first on your list was:
1) Some witnesses mention that one of the aircraft performed a wingover shortly before the collision. Does this imply showing off? with insufficient lookout before performing maneuvers?
I've read the report of the Board of Inquiry from beginning to end and there is nothing whatsoever which supports your rather unpleasant implication.

The investigators examined all available evidence including eye-witness accounts very carefully (even the account of a 9 year old child) and researched every theory. The investigation was thorough and comprehensive. I've read several hundred accident reports (Mil and civvy) in a professional capacity over the past three decades and regard it as excellent.
None of your comments in your initial or subsequent posts add anything of value to the findings and recommendations already contained in the Report.

Link to BOI

(Edit)
IMHO Recommendation 10 is unrealistic, and would have done nothing to prevent the collision, but that is a comment not a criticism.