PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Time on position reporting
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2010, 11:23
DFC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not going to make a ha'porth of difference. Where I worked, clocks weren't that accurate any way.
Last time we were there the clocks at LATCC were kept on the correct time by using the radio signal from Rugby. That is how it complies with the ICAO Annex 11 requirments with regard to time. Wasn't it there that you worked?

As Tarq57 said, if the separation required is 15 minutes and one flight makes the position report at 1016, the other aircraft can not cross before 1031. If it has laready passed an estimate of 1030, you now have to tell it to cross the fix not before 1031 as well as providing essential traffic information. A minor inconvenience but unnecessary if the first flight actually crossed the fix at 1015 but failed to note the time.

I have always thought this practice to be quite illogical. Does anyone know of any authoritative reference for this? What is taught, if anything, to aircrew for recording times when only to the "nearer" minute?
Why is it illogical?

You are only required to transmitt the seconds in an R/T report when specifically asked for. Therefore it is logical that the time transmitted is rounded to the nearest minute.

Rounding is taught in Primary School. Do we really have to teach it again to pilots?

References are;

Annex 5 - Units of measurament

Annex 2 - Rules of the Air

DOC 4444 - PANS ATM

fireflybob,

I did point that out earlier. There is also the provision that from an ATC point of view if the report is not received within a reasonable time of when expected then it is sought and this in itself prevents the call being delayed too much when it is essential for separation.