PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MDA for CONSTANT DESCENT NPA
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2010, 11:16
Denti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Umm, the same is true for every single approach. But especially the 737 is a shorthaul aircraft on which a crew usually does 4 to 6 landings a day so that every flight crew member gets 2 or 3 landings. The use of autothrottle or not during approaches is something we discussed elsewhere indepth and this thread is mainly about non precision approaches.

The sentence you quote up there just states that it is nice to be able to fly a defacto raw data (non flight director of course) non precision approach much easier in IAN (which you should know and use as a current 737 pilot) than in LNAV/VNAV or heaven forbid LNAV/VS. Nothing in there is about autothrottle usage at all, any current pilot should be aware of how to fly according to his company SOPs and the use of autothrottle or not during manual flight, ours actually use the autothrottle ARM feature for the last 20 odd years without any problem so far.

As for manual flight recency, a lot of that depends on your company atttitude towards it, but i think the following from our SOPs gives me quite a bit of that if i want to:

Continuous use of automatic systems leads to loss of basic knowledge of power settings/pitch attitudes and reduces the ability to fly accurately with a low workload. Pilots should therefore regularly fly the aircraft manually, with emphasis on manual departures/ approaches with and without the flight director.
The problem with allways sticking to automatics if uncomfortable is something that can lead to serious problems with raw data flying when necessary and currently a bad trend in the industry, i would rather avoid an airline that doesn't train its pilots enough to be able to fly raw data at all times.