PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF pilots leaving
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2010, 10:35
Old Fella

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Retention of RAAF Pilots

Falling Leaf, don't know if you would have known of a now former CAS who had words such as these to say when being interviewed by Australian Aviation magazine in the 1980's. Asked if he was concerned at the loss of RAAF pilots to the civil airlines his response was something along these lines. "No, I'm not really concerned. Generally it is only the malcontents who, correctly, believe that they do not have a future in the RAAF who leave the service". I know and flew with many of the so-called "malcontents", many of whom were great pilots, great blokes and went on to become highly respected members of civil airlines. The former CAS, some time after leaving the RAAF put his hand up to get pre-selected for a go at Federal politics. His comment then had changed somewhat to "If we do not do something to stem the flow of experienced RAAF pilots to the civil airlines the RAAF will not be capable of completing their operational tasking". Like you, my 20 plus years with "Ronnie" taught me much and I would do it again.