PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BOAC VC10 Flapless landing 1970
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2010, 10:07
Centaurus

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Fareastdriver, reminds me of one of our erstwhile Caribou pilots who dispensed with the remnants of his in flight lunch in the same manner.
Similar incident in a Long Nose Lincoln during a maritime exercise. Time to toss out empty cans of fruit juice known as battery acid, various half eaten stale and brutally hard buns with weevils, apple cores etc all nicely stuffed into the hard cardboard crew boxed lunch boxes. The starboard nose observation window was opened through which to do the big clean-up. It was wise in retrospect to feather No 3 but I didn't. After the sharks living in the Coral Sea had feasted we noticed slight vibration but temps and pressures normal.

Next day CO coldly asked where had I been low flying? Me, Sir? No way, Sir.

You lie, Flight Lieutenant (from the CO). I was led mystified to the hangar where the airmen were changing the No 3 prop. If you didn't low fly then how the hell did THAT happen sez CO pointing at red stains (tomato sauce), dents apparently from tins cans, and other minor scape marks on the prop tips. Ah! THOSE Sir with a nervous laugh. Must have been all the stuff we disposed overboard on the last leg of the marex over water.

He accepted my story which of course was true and I was off the hook. Memo to self: Next time use the rear turret to throw away the rubbish.

Further memo: What the stuff has this got to do with the thread about flapless landings in a VC10? Answer: None but seemed a good idea at the time.