PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Continental TurboProp crash inbound for Buffalo
Old 10th Jan 2010, 08:50
TheOldBloke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have run and re-run the simulation of this incident. I have listened intently to the CVR and it's timings and matched the FDR with that of the CVR. It does seem to be incomprehensible that neithe rof the flight crew were aware of the airspeed bleed off when flap was initially lowered to 5*.
As we are all aware, ice was being discussed (as well as other things not pertinent to flying), and I do wonder as to whether the crew were simply looking out of their windows for a visual ice check? By either of the crew looking to their rear, an inadvertent backward stick pressure (slight) could have been applied (which does show in the FDR) which would have accentuated the stall position. For both pilots to turn their heads, refocus on their flight instruments, to gain spatial awareness, would, in my opinion have taken up those valuable seconds for the flight to be recovered from it's on-going stall situation. Again, from listening to the CVR with the flight display, the co-pilots reaction to their situation was very calm and I have a suspicion that she wasn't aware that the plane was *going down* untill about 4 seconds before impact. Alas, we will never know. Maybe a cockpit video recorder would have explained this incident. The more I run this incident, the more I'm in favour of believing that neither of them were actually looking at their instruments when the stall occured.