PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2010, 08:35
flipster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr Purdey

To save me typing it all out again - an extract from my post 5915

Quote:
breached their operating rules

This is also misleading and "too low, too fast and in illegal viz" is a line used by Day and Wratten.
Firstly, the ac was not 'too low' - it was at a normal MSD for a transit by a military helicopter.
Secondly, neither was it 'too fast' - but at normal transit speed - approx 130kts IAS but with some following wind.
Lastly, many people have claimed that the ac was in fog at the time of the crash thereby breaking the Low Level mil viz regs. Well, it may have been in cloud at the time of the impact but the position of Mull was clearly discernable from out at sea (from whence the ac arrived). Mr Holbrook, the yachtsman (when asked more diligently by the Sheriff's FAI) described the ac 'in sunlight' and effectively 'clear of cloud, insight of surface'. Furthermore, the MoD have also stated they do not know the extent of the cloud over the sea, if it was at all.
The activation of the next waypoint to Corran is also a clear indication (ask Chinny operators) that the crew were visual with the Mull and were therefore intending to steer left up the coast. Why they did not, we will never know but in the light of a lack of definitive and conclusive evidence, one cannot assume negligence.

If I may add that what the MoD have stated about 'not knowing about the extent of the cloud out over the sea' I have in writing. This effectively undermines all the bluff and bluster by Day and his infamously poor illustration to the HoL, which of course, he presented as 'fact' and on which stands the AM's assumptions and claims that the pilots were breaking the LL viz regs.

The emperors are down to their boxers!