PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Float plane flipped Gold Coast
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2010, 05:09
FOD_Hazard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad to hear that everyone got out OK, almost makes me cry seeing yet another float plane upside down though. How many times has ELQ been upside down now??

Code:
"Well i do admit i have seen the odd young driver that just cant do it yet. However, i have also seen alot of young drivers that have just as good stick and rudder skills as the old blokes. "
Stick and rudder skills will certainly help you as a float pilot once you are airborne....they wont help you a bit when you are on the water surrounded by power boats, jet skis, sail boats, fishermen, boat wakes, para sailers, swimmers, snorkellers, kayakers,sandbars etc etc. Its when you are on the water that you want every bit of experience you can get. Flying a float plane is very simple once you are airborne.

Float pilots earn their $$$ from the moment the plane starts till the time it leaves the water they then start earning the $$ again from the time they make the decision where to land till the time they shut down. The part in between leaving the water and landing is the easy bit.

I have seen 400hr pilots that start flying floats pick it up much easier than 2000hr guys. I have also seen guys with 3000hrs TT and 500hrs in a relatively simple and sedate float environment attempt to make the step up to larger aircaft in coastal areas and not be able to cut the mustard. Having flown in that particular area I am sure that cloud nine would have thoroughly checked out the pilot before letting him lose in such a difficult environment but experience in the air and good piloting skills can mean very little on the water.

Just wondering why the water rudders are down in some photos and up in the others.....Rapid decel may cause the handle to flick forward, But I doubt it...just hope I never find out.

Last edited by FOD_Hazard; 10th Jan 2010 at 08:09.