PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA038 (B777) Thread
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2010, 04:25
S.F.L.Y

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WojtekSz, the funny thing between us is that we never understand each other. I'm sorry to say that you're conception of gliding and dead stick landing is wrong and dangerous.

Was you quoted was more a general/theory remark and I didn't say they should have dived to get back to Vref. My point was to say that speed control is crucial and if not increasing speed by diving, they certainly shouldn't have let it drop too low.

Maintaining best glide speed and retracting flaps is only the first step of a dead stick lading. When you get closer to the ground flaps can be selected (and speed finally reduced) to stretch the path in a long flare. But if you're not touching down at the end of this flare you just fall like a stone...

You said they were below intended GP, which is wrong, they were on the ILS GP which is above the best glide path.

Flaps were selected 25 some 20 s before AP disconnection, at 118 kts. I'm not saying they had time to accelerate to 135 kts and subsequently flare. I'm wondering prevented the AP to be disconnected at the same time flaps were selected 25, which would have given 20 more seconds to control a more reasonable speed (118 kts instead of 100 kts) at a much lower AoA.

Should the AP had been disconnected earlier the PF wouldn't had to make the nose down input you've mentioned. This was achieved because the aircraft was stalling. Keeping away from stick-shaker wouldn't require such actions. While I'm saying speed is essential it doesn't mean you have to accelerate when you don't have time, but disconnecting the AP simultaneously with the selection of flaps 25 would allow you to fly around 120 kts which is definitely increasing the gliding distance and giving a lot more of flare energy to control the impact Vz.

To me both actions on flaps and AP should come together, and I'm wondering why 20 seconds and 18 kts were lost.

By the way, lowering the nose by 1 degrees at 118 kts will give you much more acceleration and less Vz increase than at 100 kts... you just can't use this example to quantify the benefits of such inputs at different speeds.