PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Formal risk assessment methods?
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2010, 00:36
Pilot DAR

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts
When I'm passenger on a long haul flight I'd rather have the crew up front read TEM handbooks than dying of boredom.
I think a whole bunch of passengers and air traffic controllers were not too keen on the pilots up front reading something, instead of flying, and overflying their intended destination a few months back!

Every flight I do is preceded by a risk assessment, and risk mitigation consideration. Generally, it's a very informal, and momentary process, conducted from memory, as I walk to the plane. If I'm running to the plane, I always take an extra moment to wonder about what I'm forgetting, 'cause I'm rushing!

When I'm flying something that has never flown before, the risk assessment is a formal documented and briefed process. There are many things which can go other than expected, no matter what kind of flight. Today's three evaluation flights of a new modification, included a briefing which I presented to the other pilot, and observer, with respect to possible departure from controlled flight, and separation of the external modification. Mitigation means were in place for both.

There will always be things which surprise pilots in flight. Our duty is to employ the resources we have provided ourselves, prevent things getting worse, and to learn, and remember to get it even better next time.

Today's briefing included specific instructions to the other two crew members with respect to the possible loss of the mod in flight. I learned these mitigation means as a result of a previous flight, which did not go as planned, and attracted a lot of unwanted attention!

My risk assessment method, where formal use is appropriate, is developed from my experience, and supplemented by guidance and lessons for many other wise aviators who have gone before. It is documented and either self, or crew briefed, and a record kept. Where informal is adequate, the process is still there, just way simpler. I'm trying to put off as long as possible, having the authorities ask me "why did you not have a plan to prevent that?".

Oh, and today's flights went very well, 65 pounds of external equipment to Mach .55, among many other evaluation elements, and they call what I do "work"!

Pilot DAR