PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Prostate Cancer
Thread: Prostate Cancer
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2010, 23:22
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts
From memory, cos it's a long lecture and I've not time to go through it again.

There is a US doctor who gave a lecture at a symposium that I'll try to find the link for. He talks of his results, and I think they're world beating if they can be believed. Given that he was talking to an audience of his peers, I doubt that there was too much BS.

The gist was that he gave Brachytherapy and external beam in the same period of treatment. This was followed by Colour-flow ultrasonic scans, which he seemed to think topped any form of back-up diagnostic tool there was.

His claim of a 91-97 % 5 year survival rate is better than anything I've heard of before or after.

I had Brachytherapy and it was almost a non-event. But, personal circumstances mean that I'm almost rolling the dice with my life when it comes to messing with follow-up procedures. I take myself off to the blood clinic, assess my own numbers, and ignore the strange feelings. But then, that's me.

I was told at home that with a PSA of 8> 'Watchful waiting might be the way forward." Mmmm...second biggest killer of men here in the US, thinks I. So I took myself off to a doctor in the US for a biopsy. This I paid for. I had a 4+3, which for some strange reason is more aggressive than a 3+4.

Right now, I think this procedure is the way forward. One of our Ppruning members talked of loss of libido following a radical procedure. This is a serious issue for anyone up to - and indeed including - my age. As it happens, I have a reduction, but not a loss of same. However, even with Brachytherapy, nothing is guaranteed on that score.
It takes 40mins or so. Go on the 'screen' and pick the lowest of four pop-sideways boxes when it comes out.

Pick it quickly, and get your cursor away and wait, or the box gets jammed over the screen.

Dattoli Cancer Center - Media Library

Last edited by Loose rivets; 9th Jan 2010 at 23:34.